Tuesday, January 20, 2009

It's really tough to write something meaningful!

I felt really great when I signed up for this..WOW - I have a blog.Now I am a proper Internet socialite!The euphoria lasted precisely 29 seconds (yes I know that's a rough estimate) when I realized that I actually had to write something.I realized it is cool to have a blog of your own;cooler if you can actually write something meaningful!So, here goes....my effort at becoming "kewl"!

The date January 20th became significant in my life since 2002-2003 when I enrolled at Presidency College, Kolkata.January 20th is the Founders' Day of our hallowed college - a day when old meets new,the past encounters the present and moves into the future.It used to be a day which reminded me for at least one day in the year that I am a part of a special group....I daresay an elite group.It was the coming together of various generations of Presidencians which appealed to me the most,much more than the supposed elitism.The last occasion I was physically present at that gathering was in 2007, seven months before I came to the United States.I had spent January 20th, 2008 calling friends who were there and making them hold out their cell phones so that I could catch a bit of the sounds of merrymaking I was missing out on.

I came to the United States to find it in a rather politically charged atmosphere.Elections were just a year away,people were getting restless after eight years of rule by a person most people in the world love to hate and the American economy was failing.Throughout 2008 America saw political drama played out to such perfection which might put the usual Indian saas-bahu crop to shame.The climax was provided by the nation overwhelmingly electing an inexperienced yet charismatic 47 year old Harvard Law School graduate who was born in Honolulu of a white mother and a black Kenyan father and raised by his white grandparents in Indonesia.An inspirational speaker with very little political experience excited a nation which was steadily losing hope in its political establishment,made young Americans turn out in record numbers at polling booths to vote for him.A country where the color of the skin still matters made an attempt to come together to elect a half-black man to the highest office in the land. Many African-Americans never thought they would live to see this day.They are descendants of slaves who were once treated like animals.There were tears of joy and remembrance all over this vast country.

When I got amazed or excited by the things happening around me,I thought "how does it matter to me - a foreigner with an undefined color of skin?"It does not.Or may be it does.It gave me the opportunity to analyze the events from the unbiased perspective of a foreigner (well not exactly unbiased-I was an Obama supporter).What amazed me the most was the excitement in the general population.Rarely in recent memory has an election meant so much to a country.It seemed more of a rock concert than a Presidential election.It came as an even starker contrast to me because as Indians we hardly get excited at the prospect of an election (I daresay we have had too many in too little time),let alone celebrate somebody's victory.

The inauguration of Barack Obama was scheduled for January 20th,2009.The date was familiar.I have rather fond memories of that date.I always associated it with the reunion of various generations of Presidencians.As I watched the Presidential inauguration this morning,I somewhat found a few parallels.This also was in a way,a unifying event.Americans of all colors,religions,gender,sexual orientations and beliefs came together to write a new chapter in the history of the country.It is questionable whether they could afford an inaugural function costing a mere $170 million when the country is officially in recession;but guess what?Nobody did ask that question.They were too busy celebrating what they believe would be a new era,a unifying era.

And at their expense,I also celebrated.As the saying goes:when in Rome, do as the Romans do.I did not go out and party like most Americans did.My celebration was more solitary,more personal.But it felt nice to feel that on a day I usually associate with coming together of various groups of people,the people of a divided country also celebrated a union of sorts - of ideas,of colors,of genders,of choices.It really felt good.I could neither be in Kolkata nor Washington D.C. to celebrate in person,but still it felt good being a part of everything while I sat facing the balcony of my small apartment....because,after all, everything that makes you smile or cry happens inside you,not outside.

6 comments:

  1. Keep writing buddy...You have readers to satisfy with your keyboard skill...

    ReplyDelete
  2. KT :D

    here's to more reads and more yawns...!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Keep it up ..Mota!! ..
    I must say the whole meaning is carried in the last few words ... :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. everything that makes you smile or cry happens inside you,not outside.....gr8 quote ...the writeup was quite good...congrats on ur debut

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks guys for your encouragement.Would be great if you would forward these to people who you might think enjoy this as well.I'll write something new very soon.Thanks.

    ReplyDelete